Although Surescripts has always worked closely with our network participants to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the information on our network, we still recognize the need to continually work towards even higher e-prescribing quality. Today, e-prescribing is virtually the norm, with more than 1.5 billion e-prescriptions annually—or 3,000 a minute—flowing through our network.
Network problems require network solutions, which is why Surescripts started the Critical Performance Improvements (CPI) program last year. CPI brings together network participants from electronic health records (EHR) vendors, pharmacies, drug compendia and other partners to create the “place” where things get done. We chatted with a few of the program participants at our annual Customer Forum this past September. Click or tap below to hear some of their insights.
While the video captures just a handful of participants, our CPI program actually includes 125 representatives from 25 companies.
Here are some highlights from our CPI collaboration:
- Identified and validated 11 critical areas of improvement for the routed prescription
- The network transmitted nearly 27 million year-to-date electronic prescriptions for controlled substances
- Developed value propositions that are true to stakeholders’ real-world needs for Structured/Codified Sig
- Learning directory pilot gained 23,000 learned locations
- Monthly CancelRx requests increased from 10,000 in January 2016 to 34,000 in August 2016
As we at Surescripts strive to play a leadership role in optimizing e-prescribing industry-wide, we look at improving the quality of e-prescription transactions as both a challenge and an opportunity. The collective contribution of our network participants will be an enormous leap forward in the effort to reduce errors, confusion and headaches for all of our customers.
We look forward to sharing more insights and network solutions in the upcoming months, including new reports using our enhanced quality monitoring system.