ARLINGTON, VA. – October 3, 2016 – Surescripts, the nation’s leading health information network, has broadened its partnership with PointClickCare, the leading cloud-based software for the senior care continuum. As its preferred electronic connective prescribing vendor, Surescripts broadens healthcare interoperability with its full suite of e-prescribing services within PointClickCare’s electronic health record (EHR) platform, including functionalities such as NewRx, CancelRx and Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances (EPCS).
“We recognize the unique needs of our senior care customers, and the impact the right tools and solutions can have in achieving true interoperability,” said Dave Wessinger, Chief Technology Officer of PointClickCare. “Our broadened partnership with Surescripts will allow us to continue to provide our customers with the information and resources they need to streamline workflows, maintain resident safety and improve the physician experience.”
For most long-term care facilities, prescriptions are traditionally phoned or faxed to the pharmacy. In fact, fewer than 10 percent of long-term and post-acute care (LTPAC) providers are enabled to use the NCPDP SCRIPT 10.6 standard for e-prescribing according to a survey by LeadingAge’s Center for Aging Services Technologies. Surescripts connects a nationwide network of LTPAC and EHR systems, and provides access to 98 percent of retail pharmacies and the majority of pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs).
“With 10,000 people turning 65 every day, we are committed to supporting the long-term and post-acute care market by partnering with PointClickCare to offer their providers access to critical patient prescription information through our nationwide network,” said Tom Skelton, Chief Executive Officer of Surescripts. “As the first true example of healthcare interoperability, e-prescribing adds value to the entire healthcare system by increasing efficiency and improving the quality of care.”
Providers using the PointClickCare platform will have access to a suite of solutions from Surescripts that will maximize e-prescribing, while increasing efficiency and improving care in skilled nursing facilities. These solutions include:
- NewRx: Routes open orders and discharge prescriptions to long-term care, retail and mail-order pharmacies.
- Census: Notifies the pharmacy of patient status changes, such as when a patient is admitted to or leaving a facility, or when his/her information changes (room number, insurance, etc.).
- RxFill: Notifies the prescriber about the status of a prescription, whether it was picked up, partially dispensed or never dispensed (i.e., patient did not pick up the medication or the medication will not be dispensed at the present time).
- Resupply: Allows facilities, such as those for LTPAC, to request additional quantity of a patient’s medication from the pharmacy.
- CancelRx: Cancels prescriptions that have been sent to community pharmacies.
- Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances (EPCS): Provides a streamlined electronic workflow for controlled substance prescriptions.
PointClickCare users can learn more about Surescripts e-prescribing capabilities and solutions at SUMMIT 2016, PointClickCare’s annual user conference, November 6-9 in Orlando, Florida.
Surescripts is committed to unleashing the potential of American healthcare by creating a more connected and collaborative healthcare system. Our nationwide health information network connects doctor’s offices, hospitals, pharmacists, and health plans through an integrated and technology neutral platform. For more information, go to www.surescripts.com and follow us at twitter.com/surescripts.