As the nation's e-prescription network® for more than 15 years, Surescripts offers e-prescribing to healthcare providers and pharmacies serving all care settings – ambulatory, acute, post-acute, long term, and specialty. Electronic exchange of prescription information between prescribers and pharmacies improves prescription accuracy and saves time. Pharmacists realize a reduction in pharmacy phone calls and faxes related to prescription renewal authorizations, as well as a reduced need for pharmacy staff to enter prescription data manually.
See how it works
- Reduced costs. A recent study indicates that e-prescribing increases first fill medication adherence by 10% with the potential to save $140 - $240 billion over the next 10 years.
- Improved patient safety. Pharmacists no longer have to interpret handwritten prescriptions, reducing potential for errors.
- Increased efficiency. E-prescriptions are delivered directly in the pharmacy's computer system, reducing the amount of time pharmacy technicians spend interpreting handwriting or entering information manually. Additionally, since physicians have better information available at the time of prescribing, fewer pharmacist-to-physician follow up calls will be needed.
- Expanded reach. A single connection to the largest network of long term and post-acute care facilities, pharmacies, EHRs, health systems, and health information exchanges makes direct connections unnecessary.
How It Works
Surescripts e-prescribing services allow healthcare providers to securely e-prescribe using one efficient workflow while improving patient care. Surescripts certifies EHR software for the following types of electronic routing messages:
- New Rx: Route new prescriptions to community pharmacies and mail-order pharmacies.
- Rx Renewal: Route prescription renewal requests and responses between prescribers and pharmacies (retail and mail-order).
- Prescription Benefit: Allow prescribers to choose medications that are on formulary and covered by the patient’s drug benefit.
- Medication History: Access information on a patient’s current and past prescriptions and inform physicians and pharmacists about potential medication issues.
- Census: Notify pharmacy of patient status changes such as when a patient is admitted to a facility, leaving the facility, or changes to patient information (room number, insurance, etc.).
- Resupply: Allows facilities, such as those for long term and post-acute care, to request additional quantity of a patient’s medication from the pharmacy.
- CancelRx: Cancel prescriptions that have been sent to community pharmacies.
- RxChange: Allow pharmacies to send messages electronically to a prescriber and request authorization to make a change to a prescription.
- Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (EPCS): Prescribes controlled substances for a streamlined workflow.
- CompletEPA: Access a real-time electronic prior authorization (EPA) solution integrated into the EHR workflow.
Prescribers, search for software that has been certified by Surescripts for this service.
Software vendors, click here if you are interested in becoming certified by Surescripts for this service.